Sunday, January 8, 2012

Finally!

Finally! We are a week into the New Year and I finally caught a trout. Seriously, the weather could not have been better. It has been in the fifties and beautiful here for the past two days. I hope the weather is this nice in April. I fear that winter is waiting pounce, so I will fish while I can. Mike also had a new toy to play with: a  new lens for his camera. As you can see, the pictures are amazing!
Mike, His father-in-law, and I headed for the Mad this afternoon. The skies were clear, the winds were light, and the temperatures were very comfortable for an afternoon of fishing in early January. Mike’s father-in-law, Denny, wanted to show us a section of the river further upstream than I had ever ventured. We started just south of interstate 33 and fished upstream and downstream from one of the bridges that crossed the river.
Denny told us he had caught two monster rainbows in this section a few years ago. I was excited about the opportunity to see a few rainbows.However, I would be happy to see any trout today. Mike and I headed upstream through some promising runs and riffles. It did not take long for Mike to find his first fish of the year. It was a short fight and a small brown, but it was the first trout of 2012.
We filmed a bit and played with the camera and soon, I found my first brown of 2012. It was one of the many fish stocked from the fall. The basic eight inch fish that jumped and dance his way to my hand. I was glad to see him and thankful for his visit.

We filmed, we fished, and we explored a new section of the Mad. We did not catch any more trout, but I did find a tree that Mike was glad to film me catching! It was a great visit with the winding river. I look forward to getting back to that section later this year. With the weather they are predicting, I hope to fish again soon.

3 comments:

  1. No matter what time of the year it is, the Mad always looks amazing. I look forward to fishing it this spring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great pictures. Hard to believe that is Ohio in January.

    ReplyDelete