Sunday, August 7, 2011

Rocky Mountain National Park: Final Day

Day 4

With confused emotions I have both dreaded and longed for this day. The last day. I would hike out today and immediately miss the mountains. I would also have the chance to speak to my beloved family that I had missed so much. I thought of them every step of the way. I missed them more with each moment. I longed to hear their sweet voices and feel their warm embrace. However, I had fallen in love with the mountains: their beauty, their deafening silence and majesty, their solitude and their gift of trout. I would miss them too, but I will return.
                              Wes making pancakes.
The trip out was pretty uneventful. We had a quick and easy hike back down the valley. We fished very little and stopped once again at  Big Pool. My fishing would end where it had started. Two more cutthroat trout and I packed my fishing gear away, ready to complete the rest of my journey. The conversation turned from mountains and fish to family and cheeseburgers! It was a quiet hike out for all of us.

My first order of business was to call the family. I was answered with the excited and squealing voice of my lovely Morgan. I talked to Matthew and Susan next and it had never felt so good to hear their voices. Our first stop would be a local eatery in Grand Lake. The town had that old Alaskan shanty town feel to it. It was quaint and screamed of the West from long ago. The cheeseburgers were great and the taste of fries and Pepsi made it even more satisfying. Soon our meal was finished and we hurried as the incoming rains were quickly racing accross the mountains. I imagined for a moment the the place way crying, saddened to see us go.

Our last look at the river.
The drive back through the park was slow and quiet. It was much busier than our early morning trip from the first day. I was just as impressed and even more appreciative than I was before. I was thankful that God had created such a place for us to enjoy. I was greatful for the expirience of having been there. It was truly an amazing journey and one that I will never forget.

We stopped in Estes Park to buy some things for our families and soon we were back at Steve's once again greatful for modern plumbing. I had rippened a bit in the mountains and it was time to finally clean up and become presentable to society. We viewed eachother's pictures and told stories. Soon it was time to sleep in a bed that made no noise and rest the rest that I had missed from the past three nights. It was welcomed sleep.
Steve and his wife Kerry were two of the most generous and gracious hosts  you could have ever asked for. They welcomed us into their lives and homes and I was grateful for their kindness.

The Mighty Colorado River in its infancy.
It was time to go. The plane ride home was quiet and reflective. I could not wait to see my lovely wife and beautiful children. I was greeted with a "Welcome Home" sign, a newly landscaped yard, freshly mowed grass, and newly painted shutters. Oh yeah, and an exhausted and cheerful wife.


1 comment:

  1. I have made up my mind that you will have to go back and take me along with you. No debating.

    ReplyDelete