Saturday, August 13, 2011

August on the Mad


Historically speaking, August on the Mad River has not always been my favorite time to fish. The water is normally warmer and low, the trout are a bit sluggish and even more skittish, and I am normally changing gears and thinking about work and antlered animals. I have always found fish during August, but the consistency varies from year to year. Today would be no different.
Mike and I made an evening escape and ventured west for a trip of trout. We made it to the river late in the afternoon and found ourselves alone on a familiar beat. The water was very clear and it became evident quickly that we would have to go slow and steady to find fish. Some were found with nymphs while others rose to the surface to sip small terrestrials. It was a good evening.
Mike brought along his little camera and soon the fishing became secondary. The older I get, the more I want to document the little things that I see along the way. It is just as enjoyable and rewarding to show the family the footage as it is to catch fish. With Mike, it is always an adventure. Here is a little footage that documented our time on the river.

Trout on the Mad #2 from Mike McNeese on Vimeo.

By the way, I practically caught that fish for him. I built the rod, I tied the fly, I…

No comments:

Post a Comment